Welcome back to my blog. I might have totally underestimated how busy I would be with working at my placement, doing my dissertation and trying to keep up on Instagram/my blog. It seems that I will only be able to post once a week for the foreseeable future. Anyway, onto today’s post! Sometimes people say they don’t have enough time to do sustainable actions, but you can fit in a lot of things in just a few minutes. I am sharing eco-friendly actions you can do in 5, 10 and 15 minutes!
Why should we live more sustainably? What are the benefits?
If this exceptionally hot weather we’ve been getting hasn’t made you realise how serious climate change is, I don’t know what will! Take advice from Selwyn Duijvestijn and this post so that you can live more eco-friendly. Not only does sustainable living have environmental benefits, but health benefits as well. Living more eco-friendly, not only has environmental benefits but health benefits as well. Reducing our impact on the planet would make us a lot more healthy, it seems so crazy to me that more people aren’t doing something.
- Organic food hasn’t been sprayed with pesticides which harm the soil, and therefore the ecosystem. Eating food that doesn’t have pesticides and chemicals sprayed on keeps you from consuming them and harming your body.
- Driving less would reduce lots of different types of pollution which would mean we would ingest less harmful chemicals.
- Growing your own veg (hopefully) means you appreciate fruit & vegetables while also benefiting your mental health through gardening and being amongst nature.
- Reducing your energy consumption not only reduces greenhouse gas emissions but also keeps your energy bills low. Who doesn’t love saving money?
And the list goes on…
25 sustainable actions you can do in minutes
5 minute sustainable actions
5 minutes is a very small amount of time, but you would be surprised with what you can fit in!
- Turn off any unused lights
- Share eco-friendly tips on social media
- Freeze food that is near its use-by date
- Leave product bags/reusable bags in your car
- Pick up litter
- Calculate your carbon footprint
- Order a food waste bin
- Empty your email junk folder
- Delete unused apps from your devices
- Write a shopping list
- Check your fridge, bring forward things near their date/are going off soon
- Put a reusable bag in all your bags (handbag, backpack etc.)
- Turn off your computer if you aren’t going to use it for over 2 hours
- Check that your tv is off, and not on standby
10 minute sustainable actions
You could either do 2 of the above eco friendly actions, or one of the following:
- Put your clothes outside to dry
- Mend your clothes
- Clean your empty jars/cans etc.
- Delete duplicate files/photos
- Delete files you no longer need
- Meal plan to ensure food is not wasted
15 minute sustainable actions
- Plant some herb seeds – they are super easy to plant, and don’t tend to require repotting which is perfect if you don’t have a garden.
- Upcycle something – e.g. use old tights to make hairbands
- Make your own eco-friendly cleaning products – surface cleaner, toilet cleaner
- Plant some wildflower seeds to attract pollinators e.g. butterflies
- Cook a new veggie meal
Which sustainable action are you going to incorporate?
Best wishes, Cx