Disclaimer: AD/Gifted – Some of these products have been gifted to me but all opinions are my own. Read my disclaimer here.
I’m back with another Plastic-Free July swap post! I’ve been wanting to switch from plastic bottles of shampoo to a plastic-free shampoo bar for a while. Originally, I had planned on using up all my shampoo before switching, but I’ve decided to transition by washing with a bar every other go because my hair is pretty sensitive.
I hope you are getting on well with your Plastic-Free July goals, I have successfully switched to a refillable deodorant aka Wild. I must admit that I was planning on posting on Instagram every single day to share my swaps, but this was a bit too optimistic of me! Another swap I made was purchasing an amazing refillable eyeshadow since I only tend to wear one shade – I’ll share on Instagram at some point. But without further ado, onto my latest swap which is a shampoo bar.
What is a shampoo bar?
A shampoo bar is pretty self-explanatory – it’s a block of shampoo. It is the plastic-free version of shampoo.
Why should you switch to a shampoo bar?
- It’s more compact which comes in handy for travelling
- Easy to use
- Multiple types to suit your hair
- Different scents & shapes
- Last a long time
Sign up to my newsletter and recieve a FREE eco-friendly travel checklist!
KIND2 was created by Sue in 2019 when she was concerned about plastic pollution and wanted to make a difference in the haircare market. From the beginning, she wanted to create a cruelty-free, vegan and plastic-free shampoo bar which is how KIND2 was born!
They sell 4 different shampoo/conditioner bars, priced at £12.50 for the shampoos and £15.95 for the conditioner bar. There’s The Sensitive One (the one I went for), The Hydrating One, The Two In One and The Restoring One. Here is a quick summary of each bar:
The Sensitive One
This shampoo bar is for those that have a more sensitive scalp, whether that be from dry hair or dandruff/a flaky scalp. The bar is hasn’t got any essential oils or fragrances which is perfect for a sensitive scalp!
The Hydrating One
The Hydrating One is the second shampoo-only bar. It is for those who have coloured, dry, curly or normal hair with hemp seed, shea and macadamia oils to hydrate the hair. The scent is fresh, woody and subtly floral.
The Two In One
This one does what it says on the tin – a shampoo and conditioner bar. It is best for normal – oily and short – medium hair. This shampoo is for hydrating and detangling the hair, with a scent of woody and a hint of citrus.
The Restoring One
The Restoring One is a conditioner bar. It is for hydrating, detangling and nourishing your hair – it’s full of coconut and cocoa butter as well as oils. The scent is fresh woody and subtly floral.
I decided to go with The Sensitive One because, like my skin, my scalp is very sensitive! A few months back I was using a 2in1 bottle of shampoo, but I found that it made my hair very greasy which is why I didn’t opt for the conditioner or 2in1 bar – as well as this, The Restoring One contains argan oil which I’m annoyingly allergic to :/
I love the shampoo bar! As I said before, I’ve been wanting to make the switch for a while so I was really happy to try out one of the KIND2 shampoo bars. The delivery was very quick and the packaging is completely plastic-free. You might be wondering whether it is worth £12.50? I am telling you now, it is! It is quite a hard shampoo bar which means that it will last a very long time. The bar doesn’t lather very well, but I learnt that it wasn’t meant to – I was a little concerned about making sure that all the shampoo was washed out properly, but it was no different than bottled shampoo.
My mum has recently been making soap bars and even made her own shampoo bar. However, hers required a vinegar wash through afterwards to make sure the hair was pH balanced. I thought this sounded like far too much of a faff but luckily KIND2’s shampoo and conditioner bars don’t require this which I’m very glad about!
How does it work?
- Wet your hair under the shower.
- Wet the shampoo bar under the shower (make sure you don’t get any on the dish you are storing it in).
- Apply the bar directly to your hair by rubbing it a few times (2-5, it depends on your hair but don’t do more than 5 because it is concentrated).
- Wash out the shampoo.
- Repeat steps with the KIND2 conditioner bar if required.
Reasons why you should choose a KIND2 bar
- Fully vegan and made from plant-based ingredients
- Contains lots of nourishing oils
- Free-from synthetic colours and fragrances
- Palm-oil free
- Plastic-free, even microplastics!
- Concentrated and contains no water, unlike a bottled shampoo – lasts longer (around 60 washes) & saves you money
- pH balanced and soap-free – no need for vinegar because the bar uses the natural acidity of our scalps
- One mangrove tree is planted, in Madagascar, with every order – a mangrove tree stores more CO2 than a tree in the tropical rainforests
- Made in the UK to keep a low carbon footprint
- KIND2 HQ runs on renewable energy
- You can get £5 off with this referral voucher (I would also get £5)
Do you use a shampoo bar?
Best wishes, Cx